In an effective LHS cycle, public health, care delivery, and quality improvement (QI) actions produce data about results, which is processed into evidence about effective actions, which is in turn processed into knowledge, tools, and resources that inform subsequent action—in a continuous cycle—to achieve the Quintuple Aim. Producing an effective LHS cycle requires information to flow seamlessly around the cycle.
This effective LHS Cycle only happens with the support of people, process and technology – this includes tools necessary to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of each cycle component and the ability of the knowledge ecosystem to broadly support LHS and realize the Quintuple Aim.
The ACTS Roadmap integrates current efforts to build these tools and identifies gaps where tools need to be created. Key to creating effective tools and enable the LHS Cycle is producing systems that automate and standardize those areas that require more automation(as outlined in What a Digital Knowledge Ecosystem Will Enhance).
Note: There are important judgement activities at each step of the knowledge ecosystem cycle (e.g., related to evidence evaluation and clinical decisions), and trying to fully automate activities that require human judgement is inappropriate, dangerous, and not intended for this task or the broader Roadmap.
The required Tools and Standards will address:
- Tools to support identifying, processing, and communicating a specific type of knowledge:
- Setting a defined schema for the knowledge type (e.g., FHIR resources)
- Demonstrating functional data entry forms (UIs) so people can specify the knowledge in ways that are converted to the defined schema
- Demonstrating functional data transformations so knowledge in structured data formats can be automatically converted to the defined schema
- Demonstrating functional UIs for people to search and view the specific knowledge
- Standards to support the infrastructure (data transfer schema, terminologies):
- Demonstrating the standard is adequate to convey the desired knowledge
- Coordination with the standard developer to adjust the standard (or adjust the implementation) as needed to convey the desired knowledge
The pages in this section identify the future vision for components around the LHS Cycle and, on the Work in Progress pages, identify efforts in progress. Check out these pages for more information.
Comprehensive Shared Care Plans